Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Getting my train on

So I haven't been good at writing but I have been good at training! After I got back from the beach trip with the fam, I started stepping it up! It's been super structured since last week.
I really hated driving the 20 minutes to the pool and I needed to do some training before work on some days to fit it all in. The hubby suggested that I use our neighborhood pool, which I was hesitant about but tried last Monday morning. I got up at 6:30, went over there (using my sister in law's pool key, since I've sworn for the past almost 3 years that my key was missing). (oh and yes, my sister in law lives in my same neighborhood, but I digress). So, not only did I discover that I was not the only one with this plan (there was another girl there giving it a try for the first time too), but I discovered that my pool key had been on my key chain the entire time we've had this house. Great. Shows you how much I've used the pool. argh.
So, the pool's a little shorter than standard, I think it's about 20 yards. So you have to do a few more laps to be even with what you'd do in the regular indoor pool. I went three days last week and swam about 1,000 yards, just short of the 1,100 I'll need to do in the race. I only stopped once during the swim, after 600 yards (30 laps) and then kept going. This Tuesday I was pretty tired and only did 40 laps, so about 800 yards. The goal is 3 days a week, so I'll go tomorrow and Saturday and aim for 50-60 laps.

The big accomplishment was tonight though. A and I went on a 12.5 mile bike ride which is the longest I've ridden outside since I was about 14 (and the 15 miles I did when I was 15 was a one-time thing).The trail was great- paved all the way, some slight hills and lots of other people around biking and running (but not so many that you couldn't maintain speed) I was working, but at the end I could have gone further so that was good. I was a little worried though....I think maybe I should have gone road bike. A's bike seems a little faster than mine....she's a good 6 inches taller than me too...does that have anything to do with it? Her bike was more expensive than mine too. She was moving it but I had to push it to keep up with her speed.....thoughts? Maybe she's just in better shape. But we think we're about the same....so who knows. I'd like to hear if the bike price/style and height can affect speed. I'm sure it can, but how much? Let me know!

Chiropractor is going well...starting to see some small improvements. Like (knock on wood) headaches haven't been as severe, and upper back pain is like 2% better. I'm icing it when I remember, doing my stretches when I remember, and going to the chiro three days a week. Also switched my pillow to one of those temperpedic ones....which seems to be making a huge difference.

Oh! And the Hubs and I started P90x....it's hardcore....and probably not best to be doing two hardcore exercise programs at the same time, but I'm aware of this, and taking it easier when I need to. I need to build some strength back in my arms, back, hams. (and totally not putting on a tri suit with my current figure).
Back to my ice and my HGTV!

J

2 comments:

  1. Some great info here. You have been publishing some interesting posts recently!

    ReplyDelete