Monday, August 24, 2009

I am Iron Girl!

So I did it! (and so did A and C!) It was a crazy thing and I'm still exhausted (actually more mentally than physically), but I'll try to summarize it below!

The day before:
So you have to go pick up your race packet that contains your race numbers (one for your helmet and one for your waist), tshirt, and some other swag like sample energy gels, luna bars, cute socks, etc. etc. Then there is a whole race expo with different vendors selling gear, clothes, sport gels etc. It was kinda chaotic but fun. I ended up buying some body glide ($7?) (to prevent rubbing from your clothes), a water proof watch with a chrono feature so I could time myself ($55), and a racebelt ($8) to attach my number to so I didn't have to worry about fiddling with safety pins during the transition.
Then we went over to the lake to get our bikes inspected and rack the bikes.
It poured all day Saturday, but by sunday morning at 4:20 ( the time I woke up), it was clear. I jumped in the shower to wake up, pulled on my crap (ended up going with the race top my mom bought be last xmas and some speedo bikini bottoms from high school that were in a drawer of my child hood room) for the swim. We got there by 5:30, set up our transition stuff( I set down a trashbag, set out my shorts, bike gloves, helmet, sunglasses in the helmet, socks in shoes, some energy jelly beans (from Dick's Sporting Goods), and my race #. Then covered it with a towel. Also set my water and gatorade bottles in the bike (frozen the night before to stay cold).

Then we headed over to the swim start. They delayed the race a little, and we were the 12 wave to go (out of like 14, b/c of our age group and last name), so C and I didn't end up going till 8:40 (A was in the wave in front). I wish we hadn't had to wait around so long....we had to pee a million times (and the port o potties were NASTY by 6 am!). So we finally took off- they make you get in the water and tred for like 2-3 minutes before they sound the Aflac duck (the official sponsor!) and you take off. I did fairly well in the swim- it didn't seem that hard and I set goals as I went along to pass the swim caps of the previous wave that were still out there....(they were color coded by wave). I passed at least a few people out of two different waves!

When you reach the shore, some dudes help you get out of the water and then you run up to the transition area.On my way I slapped my friend high five (from ratemytriathlon.com...he was volunteering) and went on to my spot. It took me forever to get my stuff together (can definitely cut time there if you think about it). I pulled on my shorts, socks, shoes, ate a few jelly beans, pulled on a tshirt and my race belt, helmet, glasses and was on my way to the bike course.
Around the last two mile mark of the bike I hear someone yell my last name, and C had caught up with me! It was cool to ride into transition with her as both our families were there cheering us on! On the bike trail there were SO many supportive people on the side of the road...even the cops directing traffic were encouraging us as we went along! It was awesome!

So back to transition to re-rack and swap my helmet for a dry fit hat. I ran out (another high 5) and ran about 3 minutes before I had to walk. My left leg was crampppping! So I continued to walk/run until I again hear my name....it's my cousin, who had finished an hour earlier, double backing around to run with me! (anyone who does more than the race mileage is insane by the way) So then C ends up catching up again, and my cousin makes me run more than I originally intended to run. So I finished, got my medal, and took some pics with the girls. SOOO glad it's done!
The worst part was driving home (5 hours) a few hours later....I still couldn't really eat even though I needed some crazy calories, ended up getting a headache, feeling sick, and having to make a minor puke stop. By the time we got home I was fine, but I highly recommend just chillin afterwards and not getting in a car for 5 hours!
It was a really great experience and I raised over $500 to help the prostate cancer foundation in memory of my uncle.
The girls and I are already talking about next year....(ughhhh!?!). My top tips to come....


So when we got back we went to our separate areas

1 comment: