Thursday, February 12, 2009

Back in the Pool Again...

It's been a while and I haven't posted b/c I kinda slacked off the past few weeks...and never went to the pool until today. I decided today had to be the day, that my anxiety about going to swim was ridiculous, and it's already mid February and I HAVE to train. So I went. When I arrived there were about 4,000 kids swarming the place for swim team practice, and I felt totally out of place! Luckily the girl at the front desk was super nice and didn't act like it was weird at all for me to be there, so
I bought a 10 visit pass that cost $46. I also bought a pair of goggles and some ear plugs (I get ear infections like a 4 year old, so I'm not taking any chances) for another $22...so all in all not bad.
There were only three lap lanes open tonight and luckily I got one all to myself. After researching some beginner training plans online today, I determined that I should start out by swimming 20 laps twice a week for the first month. Well I was intimidated by 20 laps and had no concept if that would be hard to do or not...don't laugh if it's obviously not...it's literally been that long since I've swam.

But much to my delight, that first lap felt natural like I had never stopped swimming! Success!
My heart was not beating out of my body as I had imagined, nor was I gasping for air. Another swimmer even told me I had "skills" when I mentioned that I hadn't swam in years! (8 to be exact! yikes) So I swam 24 total (2 warm up 2 cool down) and while I did stop for 10-20 seconds every 2-4 laps, it was mostly to adjust my goggles or hair and I was not struggling all that much.

Walking out of the swim center at the end, I felt a little floaty from the chlorine fumes...and I still smell it even after coming home and showering.
So hopefully I will keep this up since I have to build up to a minimum of 44 laps without stopping in order to cover the distance I'll have to do in the race.


No comments:

Post a Comment