Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Running"

It was still icy and snowy today so I did not attempt the pool (why am I so scared of the pool?! I used to LIVE at the pool!)

I went to the gym and attempted to run a mile. I'm not sure if I'm just THAT out of shape or if my body is just really not made for running, but I cannot run a mile. I know it will come with work, but I can't do it now. So I did intervals (2 minutes running, 2 minutes walking) for a mile and then I briskly walked another 2.4 miles to finish the whole 3.4 miles and "get used to the distance". The walk/run mile took me 14.56 minutes. THIS IS EMBARRASSING. In college, I ran my last 5K in 34 minutes. Before that I did it in 32 minutes. At today's pace, I'd be at like 50+ minutes. My dad would tell you, accurately, that he walks a faster mile than that. I know it's bad, but my knees literally felt like they were going to break and my ankle felt like it shifted out of line from the rest of my body in the first 4 minutes.
I looked around at the other treadmill runners and realized that the women who ran the entire time I was walking all had similar bodies- 5'5-5'7, long legs, short torsos and very little chest. They did not seem phased by the running, even the ones that had a little pudge in the torso. I, the short, top heavy one, think that there might be some "science" to this. I'm sure someone has researched this and I will try to find it. But for now I'm blaming genetics for my lack of running skills. I will have to find a way to overcome. Which probably means more practice running. Argh!

1 comment:

  1. My knees are a total mess, I always feel like they shift out of place. Lately its been my hips, like I'm a labrador or something. Keep it up Jess!I know you can do it. I should find my 5K training thinger I used to have. It's like, even if you just walk for 45 minutes, it's about getting used to the whole "keeping in motion for that long" thing, which I'm never THAT comfortable with :) - Kelly

    ReplyDelete