Thursday, September 3, 2009

Tips

I'm finally mentally recovered....kinda...now I'm mentally drained from starting grad school and helping my old sorority with their fall rush (um hello thanks old sorority sister who shall remain nameless who failed to tell me the time commitment involved when talking me into doing this!?)...but I will try to come up with a few tri tips as promised....here we go......

1) Use the port-o-potties by the swim start not by the transition area....the transition area toilets were totally gross by 6:30 am.
2) If I do it again I will seriously not have any costume changes! I wasted almost 6 minutes in transition drying off and pulling my bike shorts over my bathing suit. next year I'll either be skinny enough to ride and run in bathing suit bottoms or I'll swim with my bike shorts on (I didn't do that this time b/c when I wore them in the pool one night I thought they were "slowing me down"...who knows?).
3) Eat some energy jelly beans or goo packs during the race (but try them out weeks before to make sure they don't tear up your stomach). I didn't try them ahead of time, so I was afraid to eat too many, and by the end my blood sugar was really low, hence the massive headache and haziness after the race that left me out of commission for the car ride home.
4) Don't plan anything for the next day...aka don't drive 5 hours after the race. Go home, eat, shower, take a nap, and eat again.

5) I saw one girl with a hat on under her bike helmet...I thought about that, thought it would a) look stupid and b) be too hot, but in all honestly it probably saved her 2 minutes in transition b/c all she had to do was rack her bike and take her helmet off and go. (Unless she had to change shoes, but I think she was wearing sneakers in pedal cages). Something to consider...

That's all I got for tonight as 4 loads of laundry are waiting to be folded.....

No comments:

Post a Comment