Sunday, March 22, 2009

Still here...

So it's been a while since I posted...and let me try to recap what's been going on. So a lot has been going on and I got a bit off schedule. After my swimming success, I had a work "retreat" that basically took up two nights and one weekend day, and after that things just got turned around. Last week I ran outside one day, did spin one night and I tried to run one night inside but without much success. I think the outdoor stuff gave me shin splints, so when I got on the treadmill last Tuesday, it hurt to do anything. I ran half a mile, then had to run/walk the rest of the way (1 mile), so I ran a tenth of a mile and then walked a tenth, ran a tenth, etc. Then I walked another mile and half so I did about 3 miles total distance. I was pretty disappointed. I didn't get to work out the rest of the week- my uncle lost his battle with prostate cancer last week and I had to drive to Maryland for the funeral on Thursday. This has been probably the most sad I've felt in a very long time. I've known for a while that he was going down hill, but after I saw him a few weeks ago, I thought there would be more time. He owned the beach house that I spent my childhood summers going to with my family, and the time I spent there influenced me in many ways. I love the beach because of those summer and thanksgiving trips to the OBX. My memories of long car rides where we were always only "20 more minutes away from the house", waking up early, grabbing the bag of wonderbread from the kitchen to feed the seagulls on the deck, jumping in the hammock with one of my cousins, flying kites, crab feasts on the porch, (a few where I tried to "rescue" the crabs and run them up to the beach!), trivial pursuit games that lasted for hours, and, in later years, "cruising" around the town with my brother and our friends will forever be alive in my mind. "The beach house" gave me a warm feeling towards North Carolina (the people, the climate, etc.) and was the only reason I knew of, and considered UNC for college. UNC was my first choice and some of the best years of my life were spent there. And it's where I met the hubby. So, I credit my uncle with opening eyes to all that NC had to offer for me. The beach was one of his favorite places, and he definitely passed that love along not only to my cousins but to me as well. He will be missed!
So I know this upcoming week is going to be a challenge fitness-wise because I haven't been keeping up with my workouts. I have to teach twice, and I need to get back into the pool for sure. Then I have a business trip this weekend (and the following weekend as well, yikes) so I'll have to maybe do a double workout at least one day this week. And, I still want to buy P90x, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I kinda need to make sure I can devote the time to being a triathlete before I can add something else....but we will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment